Friday, September 18, 2009

Flour Weevils!

Oh, what a joy to open a box of pancake mix, only to find..... WEEVILS!

What the hell is a weevil?

I didn't know until about two minutes ago. They're nasty looking little bugs that like grain products. Yep.
The only way to prevent/kill them off is to freeze all grain products for about forty eight hours to guarantee that the eggs won't hatch, and then bleach the cupboards. Lovely.

So, how would one get weevils (what a stupid name for a gross bug... sounds like a disease!)?

You buy grain products.
I'm totally serious.
Just stop on by at your local grocery store and scoop up some flour, or pancake mix, or even cereal. Enjoy your new e-coli infection.

Oh lord.

I feel so disgusted knowing that it's very common to ingest these bugs and their eggs without even knowing it. Blech.

To be honest, I didn't think much about those stupid little beetles at first, but then a neighbour asked if I noticed any little bugs in grain products that I purchase.

Well, now that you mention it...
Yes, I have, actually.

A little bit of Google, a little bit of Wikipedia... Voila! Weevil Haven 'R' Us.

I would post a picture, but it made my stomach turn just looking at them, so we'll forget that idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment