Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Homeland Housewares - Just Don't Bother

Before I begin here, I just wanted to apologize for not posting for so long. It's been hectic with all the back to school stuff, and I was working some extra hours to pay for my textbooks... Yeah, it's been a long couple of weeks.

Anyway, on to the true topic of this post: Homeland Housewares.

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about, Homeland Housewares is the company that manufactures The Magic Bullet, a glorified blender. Chris (my fiancé for those who don't know) and I were up at three in the morning, watching TV, when we came across the ridiculously long commercial for The Magic Bullet. Whether it was absolute exhaustion, pure stupidity, or both, I said, "Hey, I should order that!" And that is how it all got started.

I placed the order with a friendly CSR and went to bed. The next day, not even twelve hours later, Chris and I were walking around the mall when he suggested that we should look in Showcase, a as-seen-on-tv type of place. You can probably see where this is going... Yes, The Magic Bullet was there.
Thinking that I could just save on shipping costs, I called the customer service number that Homeland Housewares gave me, only to find that it wasn't even in service. I called the sales number back, thinking it an honest mistake, but the CSR told me that I had the right number, and that she had tried it as well and it wasn't working. She said that I couldn't cancel my order through her and that I would just have to wait until the number was back up and working.
Sure.
I went back to Showcase, and the friendly employee there revealed that the customer service number that I was given was indeed wrong. She handed me the store phone and told me to call the correct number, and so I did.... Only to be told that the purchase had already been shipped and that it was impossible to cancel the order.
Uh huh... and I'm the queen of England. Here is how I know that it hadn't been shipped:
1) It was less than twelve hours after I placed the order
2) It was SATURDAY, and Homeland told me that the product was being shipped by regular post. Hmm.
3) Monday was a holiday in Canada, so nothing was going to be moving until Tuesday

Obviously I argued with the rep... who said that he would get his supervisor for me. After putting me on hold for half an hour (likely hoping that I'd hang up), I was cold transferred to someone else. THAT person said that she'd cancel my order, but that I should call back on Tuesday (how convenient) to confirm the cancellation, and then she hung up without further adieu.

Well, today is Tuesday. First thing in the morning my credit card says that I was charged for this product from Homeland Housewares.
Guess who's not going to get their money.

6 comments:

  1. The pieces containing the blades can have a dissapointing service life. On the straight blade the driven rubber peeled off. On the bent blade unit the driven shaft became so loose in it's hole that it leaks fluid like crazy into the motor. I've switched to using a Braun hand blender in a glass coffee jar for making hot chocolate. I may buy a blade type coffee grinder for chopping flax seed, or use a little cup/blade unit that came with the Braun. No way am I going to spend money on Magic Bullet parts that provide so little service as these have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, I ordered online and cancelled 2.5 hours later via customer service email. Son-of-a-gun, it was shipped. I will also have to pay the $40. S&H, plus return shipping fees. What a rip off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For $119.00 you can buy a real blender.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once I saw the real cost of the item it was too late to stop the order in their system. Tried to cancel immediately & was told to call back in 20 minutes. Tried to call again and couldn't get through. I could buy 4 of these units at local retailer for the price they were charging. Figured I would return it. The non refundable s&h fee is 56.95 and I could have bought this thing in a store for under 50.00. These people are in your face scammers and they don't care what you think as long as they keep getting away with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just ordered the Magic Bullet and after reading these reviews (belatedly), tried to cancel with no success. I was told to call a customer service number to cancel but that number apparently sometimes works and sometimes does not work. So, I called AMEX and they advised that they can dispute the charge for me once it posts to my account. Also, the AMEX CSR told me to refuse the package when it did come (UPS,FedEx, eytc..)so I wouldn't be responsible for the return S&H. If you are having issues, contact the credit card company that you use to order the Bullet & let them intervene on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How in the world can this company get away with the price they charge for the item and shipping! Because we are stupid (me included) for ordering!! Please get the word out HOMELAND HOUSEWARES is NOT a good company. They lie, oh yes it can be returned, but will cost you another $40!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete